Advertisement
Please wait...

The Hitchhikers



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

There are stories about a certain kind of hitchhiker – they only ever appear at night on quiet roads, seeming to flicker into existence in the very edge of headlights, never carrying a sign, always with an expression of deep despondency on their faces, swathed in a heavy coat and long pants, usually with gloves. If you stop, they will seem cordial enough, polite, but hardly chatty. They will assure you that the next town or city along your route will be a fine spot to leave them. Normal enough. Unless you try killing them.

They die easily enough. But look underneath their clothes, and you will see that their skin is marred with lines of scars, forming repeating patterns that are unsettling to look at, and even more unsettling in the context of their skin. They have no wallets, no identification. If you slice their belly open, however, they’re different inside. There’s no blood, no muscle, only a hollow cavity containing a single object. The object varies. Examples include a single coin, heavy and golden and engraved with runes nobody could ever decipher. A diamond gem with fractal edges that slice bare flesh to ribbons. A small vase, quite unbreakable, that smells of the ocean and is always damp…

Advertisements

Once you possess a hitchhiker’s object, you’ll find yourself always driving the quiet roads at night. You’ll never mean to, but somehow, you just will. The lure of possessing a second one will hum quietly in your head. You’ll strain to catch sight of a figure appearing in your headlights, try to resist the impulse to stop, and sometimes you might. But sometimes you won’t. You’ll try telling yourself that this is just a normal person on an adventure, someone who ran out of petrol. The logical part of your brain will scream at what you’re doing. You’ll smile and nod and they’ll get into the car and you’ll slowly, casually, reach under the seat or across to the glove box…

Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

60 thoughts on “The Hitchhikers”

  1. Hey, are you going to right more for The Holders? I’m a big fan of this and am actually currently writing a novel for NANORMO based on this. I just wanted to talk to you about it and see if you would write more ^^

  2. I’ve been killing these so called “hitchhikers” for 10 months straight and all I keep getting are all these slippery, fleshy objects covered in this thick, red substance.

    Pity; I am quite partial to vases and I would very much like to obtain this particular one.

    Oh well. I still have more than 7.035 billion people to search through…

  3. Wrong Hitchhiker Again

    The author is lying!
    I’ve been driving round highways for like three months picking up so said hitchhikers, and all I got was a bunch of loose organs and guts, plus a hairball!!
    And the fucking last one tried to kill me first, but I had the hammer.He only had a half-digested sandwich in his stomach, if that’s what you mean.

  4. These hitchhikers are what happens when a Holder fails and is just plain uncreative and slow. You end up killing them before they twist your car into a living creature or line it with dead kids or some shit.

  5. I killed a hitchhiker once. I found it strung up a tree and I whacked it with a stick with some nails in it till it bled out candy.

    The candy was good.

  6. Good different perspective. And I lol’d at the Happy Meal comment.

    Wish it had delved into the unknown objects. They definitely sound worth the collection… hm..

  7. If this concept was used in a movie, it would be pretty damn interesting. Like some crazy asshole who thinks internal organs are toys.

  8. …Why did you kill said hitchhiker in the first place? And after killing them, why did you rip open their belly? Wasn’t killing them enough?

  9. The idea of a hitch hiker carrying such wonderful possessions is so tempting. I might try my hand at such a thing.

  10. i killed one…
    his last words were rose bud…
    all i found was this huge meaty thing that filled his whole body… woops

  11. it’s important that he hears the last thump because it gets closer to him everytime, if he heard the last one outside his door and he looks away while trying to sleep. soething could easily get in his room and “thump him” :P

  12. It’s so depressing when you run out of saran wrap, and don’t realize there’s none left until you open up new cheese or something. Wax paper is USELESS if you’re trying to keep cheese from losing moisture.

  13. Lol @ Anon and Razdaz XD.

    While reading this i thought of one word: greed.
    That’s why the person goes and kills more, simply pure greed.

  14. I severely lol’d at Anon, then at Kind Stranger and Sensei’s posts.

    …And, Kind Stranger:
    I found one of them holding a Nintendo Wii! :D
    We still use it in our living room.
    I never told them where I got it >_>;

  15. Another Anonymous

    Perhaps this is the reason for all those serial murderers. The ones that pick up random hitchhikers, kill them, and dump their bodies somewhere.
    Just my thoughts >w<”

  16. sorry koer
    i look too deeply into a lot of things and always find some sort of humor somewhere, but apparently i come off as mean =\

  17. lol at Anon
    and i agree with emogirl

    1st i ain’t picking up no bomboclat hitchiker!
    2 why would i kill him? shits n giggles? i think not…u already fail author

    and the treasures inside the hitcher…what if it’s something i don’t want?…like idk, a coupon for a lifetime supply of seran wrap…yaaay -_-

    that is all

  18. Very good, Anon! This is one of the better written stories here. Leaves a lot to the imagination. Lots of description. Kudos!!!

  19. Why would you just randomly kill a hitch-hiker? And what if it’s not a “magical” one. You’d probably be arrested for murder

  20. Curiosity killed the hitch-hiker.

    But, then, of course, you would have to kill a hitch-hiker in the first place to find the object, right? Wouldn’t that mean you could have a screw loose before you found the object, and discovered an urge to kill more hitch-hikers? Doesn’t that means you could very easily just be a crazy mad(wo)man with a lust for nonexistent innard-objects.

  21. I prefer to kill them with claw-hammers, myself. That way, you can use the claw to tear ’em open.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top